Kids’ Mardi Gras Bead-Making Craft
Celebrate Mardi Gras with your very own bead-making project. Instead of buying the strands of beads that are part of the celebration tradition, your kids can create a crafty version. How can your child make their own beads? Look in your kitchen and you may just find an answer. If you have dried pasta, your kids can craft their own artsy beads.
Instead of spaghetti or angel hair, you’ll need a pasta that the kids can string. This means using ziti, penne, macaroni elbows or another shape that has a hole or a tube down the center. You can even use wagon wheels, stringing them together through the center hole section.
Arts and Crafts Materials
- Dried pasta
- Food coloring (use Mardi Gras-themed colors such as purple, yellow and green)
- White vinegar
- Freezer bags
- Divide the pasta into at least three freezer bags. Use dried, uncooked pasta only.
- Add a teaspoon or vinegar to each bag.
- Drip a few drops of food coloring into each bag. Shake the bags, coating the pasta completely.
- Pour the colored pasta onto sheet pans. Line them with wax paper to prevent sticking.
- Let the pasta completely dry. You’ll need to flip the pasta part-way through the drying process.
- String the dried pasta onto cut yarns and tie at the ends to make ‘beads’.
star Wars New Orleans Mardi Gras