Earth Day Diorama Art for Kids
Get ready to celebrate Earth Day with an upcycled art activity. Your child can cerate their own outdoorsy diorama, using recycled materials. Start by discussing the Earth and your child’s favorite outdoor areas. Take a paper pad and markers outside and have your child raw what they see. If you don’t live near a ‘natural setting’, visit a park or a wooded area.
- Shoe box
- Newspapers or child-friendly magazines
- Clear-drying school glue
- Washed and dried yogurt (or similarly sized) containers
- Naturals items: Grass clippings, twigs, flower petals
- Fabric scraps (you can cut apart old clothes or towels instead of putting them in the trash)
- A pencil
- Open the shoe box and prop it up on its side.
- Have your child draw the natural scene inside of the box.
- Use the recycled fabric scraps, newspaper or magazines to decorate the interiors. This might mean using a blue piece of fabric for the sky and green magazine pieces for the grass. Cut the items into small sizes and glue them, collage style, the box’s interior.
- Add other outdoor items and objects, such as trees, bushes or flowers. Use the plastic containers or decorate the box with the natural materials.