Make an Eye Patch for Talk Like a Pirate Day
September 19th is International Talk Like a Prate Day! Celebrate this day by helping your kids to make a cute pirate costume. All it takes is a blousy shirt a few bandanas and an eye patch. Don’t have an eye patch? Try this easy kids’ craft and make one that comes complete with some pirate lingo on it.
- Black craft foam sheets (you can use craft felt instead)
- A hole punch
- Construction paper
- A marker
- Yarn or thin ribbon
- Clear-drying school glue
- Cut the craft foam into and eye patch shape. This should look like a longer version of a half circle.
- Punch one hold on each side of the patch.
- Create a decoration for the patch. Cut the paper into a bubble, cloud, circle, oval or any other shape. Write a pirate word (such as “ahoy” or “matey”) on the paper with the marker. If your child wants to get fancy, draw over the letters with glue and sprinkle glitter on top. Shake the excess sparkles off to leave behind shiny words.
- Glue the word decorations to the center of the eye patch.
- Cut two pieces of yarn or ribbon. Thread one end of each piece through one of the holes on the sides of the patch. Tie the ends in knots.
Now the patch is ready to wear! Simply tie the loose ends together and fit the patch to your child’s head.