Flag Day Clay Play Red, White and Blue Art for Kids
Celebrate Flag Day with a creative kids’ craft! Your little artist can make their very own flag—using red, white and blue modeling clay. This easy art activity is the perfect way to mark the day and help your young child to build fine motor, color recognition and sensory skills.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need:
- Soft modeling clay (in red, white and blue colors)
- Cardboard (reuse the front or side of an old box)
- A pencil
- Optional: Red, white/silver and blue glitter
Art-Making How-To Steps:
- Cut the cardboard into a rectangle. A larger rectangle will take more time (and effort) for your child to cover with clay.
- Draw a flag shape onto the cardboard. Have your child count the stripes as they draw them and tell you the name of the shape that they draw in the upper left-hand corner (a rectangle).
- Pull the clay apart into dime-sized pieces.
- Optional: Mix the red, white/silver and blue glitter in with the clay. This adds an extra sparkle to the project, but isn’t necessary—especially if you’re looking for a low-mess children’s art activity.
- Have your child spread the clay across each area, finger paint-style. The clay will stick to the surface of the board.