Kids’ Multi-Media Heart Collage Valentine’s Day Art Activity
Your creative kiddo can craft a heart-filled artwork to celebrate Valentine’s Day! This multi-media collage project is perfect for kids in preschool and up. If you’re looking for a fun-filled activity to display at your family’s holiday party or give to friends as a homemade gift, read on for the how-to steps.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- Cardboard- Reuse an old cereal or cracker box instead of buying new board.
- Tissue paper
- Tempera paint
- A paintbrush
- Clear-drying school glue
How-To Art-Making Steps
- Cut the side or front from an old cardboard box. The cardboard should have at least one plain side–without writing, print, or pictures.
- Draw a large-sized heart onto the cardboard.
- Cut the heart out.
- Paint the heart. Your child can cover the heart with one Valentine’s Day themed colors, create a pattern or try a paint splatter technique. They can also combine all three, painting the heart with a solid hue first–and then adding stripes/polka dots/designs, and an abstract artist-like splatter on top.
- Let the heart art dry completely.
- Cut red, pink, purple and white tissue paper into pieces. Your child can make any shape they want or try to cut out tiny hearts.
- Glue the tissue paper onto the heart, creating a collage. Your child doesn’t need to cover all of the paint. Instead, let some show through the tissue collage.
Optional: Add a special sparkle to the project and sprinkle glitter onto the glue.