Lincoln’s Birthday Penny Activity for Kids
Celebrate Lincoln’s Birthday with a crafty coin activity! Start with a few pennies and discuss the presidential face the coin contains with your child. If your little learner doesn’t know much about Lincoln, read an age-appropriate children’s book about the famed historical figure or do some Internet research with your kiddo. After your child learns more about Lincoln, they’re ready for the art-making.
Materials You’ll Need for the Art Activity
- Paper- Choose a thin paper, such as printer paper.
- Optional- Extra pieces of paper. Use different thicknesses of paper to explore and experiment with the coin rubbing concept.
- Crayons- Unwrap the crayons to expose the sides.
- Colored pencils
How-To Project Steps
- Place the pennies face-up on a flat surface.
- Cover the pennies with the thin printer paper.
- Turn the crayon on its side and rub it over the paper. Your child will magically reveal the coin’s image.
- Try the same process with colored pencils.
- Your child can repeat the activity as many times as they want. Use several pennies to create Lincoln-themed patterns on the paper.
- Optional- Try the coin rubbing art activity with other types of paper. Your child can explore the differences between a thin paper and a thicker stock. Ask them why they think the coin’s image appears on some types of paper, but they only can create the outer circle shape on others.