National Grandparent’s Day Mural Art Activity for Kids
Celebrate National Grandparent’s Day this September in an awesomely artsy way! Your child can make a mural—and it’s all for grandma and grandpa. Create this cute craft together as a family or make it ahead of time and gift the grandparents this mini masterpiece.
Craft Materials You’ll Need
- Burcher paper or plain white gift wrap rolled paper
- Tempera paint
- Clips (to hang the paper up)
How-To Art Activity Steps
- Hang the paper on a fence, clothes line or other similar outdoor surface. Avoid areas that can’t get dirty (such as white painted fences or the exterior of your home). If you can’t find a place to hang the paper, place it on a flat surface such as your yard or a sidewalk.
- Help your child to select a theme. This should focus on grandparents, but can include anything from grandma’s favorite colors to grandpa’s house (or anything in between).
- Paint the mural. Your child can use the entire expanse of the paper.
- Add a special Grandparent’s Day message to the artwork. If your child is too young to paint the message themselves or aren’t sure how to spell the words, you can lightly write the letters first in pencil.
- Let the mural dry.
1989 Press Photo Hermine Hanna, National Grandparents Day Founder at Apartment
1989 Press Photo National Grandparents Day Founder Hermine Hanna in Portrait