World Migratory Bird Day Kids’ Puppet Craft
Celebrate World Migratory Bird Day with an artsy activity! Your child can craft their own bird puppet, modeling it after a bird they research. This educationally artistic avian activity is perfect for preschoolers and older children. Read on to learn more about how to make a puppet at home.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- A lunch-sized paper bag
- Construction paper
- Clear-drying school glue
- Optional: Craft feathers and googley eyes
How To Art-Making Steps
- Before your child starts to craft their puppet, they need to choose a bird. Research migratory birds online or in non-fiction books. Ask your child to select a bird. Discuss the bird’s appearance, noting the colors, shapes and patterns your child sees.
- Place the paper bag facing up with the flap towards the top.
- Draw the bird’s face onto the flap. Optional: Glue googley eyes onto the bag’s flap.
- Cut a triangle from the construction paper to make a beak.
- Glue the paper onto the bottom edge of the flap.
- Color in the bag. Your child can draw textured feathers with markers.
- Cut oval-shaped feathers from construction paper.
- Glue the feathers onto the bird to create wings.
Optional: Instead of construction paper feathers, use craft feathers. Your child can glue the ends of these feathers onto the bag.