Halloween Pumpkin Chalkboard Craft
Craft your own Halloween décor, making a pumpkin handprint holiday sign! This easy-to-make project is perfect for kids and adults alike. Even novice crafters can quickly create this pumpkin-themed art. Before getting started, you’ll need a piece of scrap wood. Make sure that it’s flat and free from splinters (sand it if necessary). Reuse the edges of wood from other DIY projects or buy a small piece of inexpensive board from a home improvement store. If you or your child is a martial arts student, you can even use a broken board from karate class!
- Square or rectangle-shaped piece of flat wood
- Chalkboard paint
- A paintbrush
- Orange and green tempera paint
- A paper plate
- Coat the front of the board with the chalkboard paint. Depending on the brand, you may need two coats.
- Let the paint dry completely.
- Pour the orange tempera onto the plate in a pool.
- Dip your hand or fingers into the paint.
- Press the paint-covered hand onto the board, creating a pumpkin circle or oval shape (you’ll need to repeat the dipping and pressing steps).
- Add a quarter-sized dab of green paint to a clear area of the plate. Dip a finger into the green paint.
- Press the green onto the top of the pumpkin, making a stem.
- Write a Halloween message on the sign using the chalk.