Very Rare Pirate Captain William Kidd Execution Hanging Piracy 1701 Newspaper
Very Rare Pirate Captain William Kidd Execution Hanging Piracy 1701 Newspaper:
Very Rare Pirate Captain William Kidd Execution Hanging Piracy 1701 Newspaper (Note: additional images are located below the description) Offered is an original, historic, & collectible old newspaper: THE LONDON GAZETTE, England, May 22-26, 1701
* Infamous pirate Captain William Kidd
* Historic & extremely rare report
* Execution - hanging
The London Gazette is the oldest continually published newspaper in the world, having started in 1665 and is still publishing today.
This issue contains on page two an exceedingly significant report--perhaps the rarest and most sought after pirate report to be found in any newspaper--which is datelined "London, May 23" and reads: "This day Capt. William Kidd, and three other of the Pirates lately condemned at the Admiralty Sessions at the Old-Baily, were executed at Execution-Dock."
Certainly the first, if not the only report on the death of Captain Kidd as the date of this issue spans the date of his death. I have never seen another period newspaper with this report.
This is a single sheet newspaper, which was typical for this period, with some light water staining, has a paper flaw (not damage) on the right causing minor loss to blank margin and not close to any text. Wide margins with no edge tears. The entire issue measures 6 5/8 by 11 3/4 inches.
This issue comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, as well as a Deluxe Gift Portfolio as shown in the photos.
A very rare opportunity for an exceedingly historic report. This is just the second issue of this date we have located in our 46 years in the hobby.
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original!
Shipping, Archival Storage Options, Certificates of Authenticity, About Us, and more...
- For this specific item, A U.S. winner pays $6.00 S&H. If multiple items are purchased and paid for simultaneously, the S&H will be calculated by using the highest item's S&H as the base cost, and then adding $1 for each additional newspaper. The per-item additional cost for folders, portfolios, and presentation cases vary.
- All U.S. orders include in-house insurance at no additional cost to the buyer.
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some small items may be shipped 1st Class. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping, we will refund overages automatically. If you prefer, contact us prior to payment to obtain a revised invoice. International Shipping Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 46 years, serve as consultants to multiple museums, and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be authentic.
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
Click to view our additional offerings
"...desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things." Hebrews 13:18
If you would like to have either the Archival Storage Folder ($7.50, plus corresponding adjustment to the final S&H) or the Certificate of Authenticity ($3.00) included with the issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted store offerings."Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." Thomas Jefferson