Silver Plated Hand Painted Icon -our Lady Of Czestochowa 17"h X 12.1/2"w For Sale
Silver Plated Icon - Our Lady of Czestochowaalso known as BLACK MADONNA
Reproduction of a holy painting dating between VI-IX century.
Dimensions: - 32x43 cm or 17"H x 12 1/2"W
Hand Made in Poland by Artist
The painting is the mystery, the fulcrum, the atmosphere of the Jasna Góra sanctuary. It was painted on a wood panel measuring 122.2 x 82.2 x 3.5 cms. and features a bust of the Virgin with Jesus in her arms. Mary's face dominates the painting and observers find themselves immersed in her eyes. They look at Mary, who looks back at them. The face of the Child is also turned towards the pilgrim but his eyes are looking elsewhere. The two faces have a serious and thoughtful expression adding to the emotional tone of the painting. Our Lady's right cheek is marked by two parallel slashes and a third horizontal cut. The neck of the image is marred with six scratches, two more visible than others. Jesus, dressed in a scarlet tunic is supported by His Mother's left hand, his right hand is raised in a magisterial gesture, of sovereignty and benediction. The hand of the Virgin rests on Her breast, as if she were indicating the Child. The Virgin's robe and mantle are decorated with lilies, the symbol of the Hungarian royal family. A six-pointed star is featured on Mary's brow. An important element are the auras around the Virgin and Child since their luminous quality contrasts with the dark facial tones. The painting of the Virgin belongs to the group of Hodigitria icons "she who indicates and guides along the road". According to art critics, the Jasna Góra painting was originally a Byzantine icon, dating between the sixth and ninth centuries. The growing fame of the miraculous image of the Mother of God meant that in a short time, the monastery became the site of constant pilgrimages and the costodian of numerous, priceless votive offerings. But, unfortunately, such valuable gifts led to greed. On Easter Day April 14 1430, a gang of robbers from Bohemia, Moravia and Silesia attacked the monastery. They burst into the Chapel of the Mother of God and grabbed the image from the altar. They then stole all the painting's valuable gift offerings and disfigured it slashing it with their swords. Prince Ladislaus of Opole presents the Holy Icon to the Pauline Order hey threw the painting to the ground and it broke in three places, according to the account of Piotr Risinus in the 1523 volume "Historia Pulchra". The painting was restored at Kraków, at the court of King Ladislaus Jagiełło. Restorers tried repeatedly to spread colour on the panel but the shades kept vanishing. Today, it is known that in the Middle Ages, restorers had difficulty working on an ancient icon because of the application of tempera colours on an image obtained with shades diluted with fused wax. Because the restoration operation was a total failure, the restorers scraped away the ancient image and painted a completely new one over the miraculous panel. They marked the sings of the robbers' outrage on the face of the image with a pen, inmemory of the barbarism.
This item has been shown 0 times.