1940 Palestine Franz Kraus Dubek Cigarette Poster Israel Litho Monsohn Jerusalem
This item has been shown 37 times.
1940 Palestine Franz Kraus Dubek Cigarette Poster Israel Litho Monsohn Jerusalem:
DESCRIPTION : Up for sale is an EXTREMELY RARE and SOUGHT AFTER original vintage Advertising Jewish Judaica STONE LIOTHOGRAPH CIGARETTE POSTER for The brand "KINNERETH CIGARETTES"of "DUBEK LTD. TEL AVIV" which was in use in Eretz Israel ( Which was sometimes refered to as Palestine ) in the 1930's and 1940's . Manufactured by the cigarettes -Tobacco factory " DUBEK LTD Tel Aviv " . The poster was designed by the legendary acclaimed Israel GRAPHIC DESIGNER - FRANZ KRAUSwhose SIGNATURE - LOGO is in the LITHOGRAPHIC STONE . The printing was done by A .L. MONSOHN LITHOGRAPHIC PRESS from Jerusalem Palestine. Extremely VIVID lithographic COLORS , Typical to ther old printing method of STONE LITHOGRAPH which was in use by the MONSOHN lithographic press. Text in HEBREW and ENGLISH. Depicted are a giant LOGO of "DUBEK" and a cigarette pack of brand "KINNERETH". Similar ORIGINAL LITHOGRAPHIC POSTERS made by Franz Kraus and the Monsohn Lithographic Press are being offered in the mosty sophisticated poster galleries for $3000 - $5000 and up.Special LITHOGRAPHIC paper.Around 19.5 x 13.5". Good condition. Clean. No folds or creases , A few tiny tears and a central folding mark are professionaly mended on the verso with acid free archival paper .Suitable for immediate framing.( Please look at scan for an accuirate AS IS image ) . Poster will be sent inside a protectiverigid package .
AUTHENTICITY :The ADVERTISING Cigarette POSTER is a fullyguaranteed ORIGINAL POSTER from the 1930's up to 1940's , It is NOT a reproduction or a recently madereprint or an immitation ,Itholds awith life long GUARANTEE for itsAUTHENTICITY and ORIGINALITY.PAYMENTS : Payment method accepted : Paypal .SHIPPMENT : SHIPP worldwide via registered airmailis $19 .Will be sent inside a protective envelope . Handling within 3-5 days after payment. Estimated duration 14 days.
MORE DETAILS :Franz Kraus(also known as Franz Krausz; 13 May 1905,Sankt Pölten, Austria – 1998,Tel Aviv, Israel) was an Israeligraphic designer. Contents[hide] 1 Biography 2 Exhibitions 3 Collection of works 4 References Biography 1910–23, Kraus grew up inGraz, Austria, and claimed that his favorite place was the art studio of brother Emil Kraus. (Emil went on to study at theAkademie der bildenden KünsteinViennaand atAlexander Archipenko's own art school in Berlin, and became a prominent member of theSezession Graz. Emil's twin brother immigrated to the United States in 1939. Their other brother, Otto, died in one of theNazi concentration campsin the 1940s, and Emil under unknown circumstances in Paris.) Franz's first employment, arranged by his father, was as a window decorator of the bookstore of the Löwit-Verlag, a major publisher in Vienna. He had settled in Vienna in 1923 at age 18, where he resided for three years. As a Jew, his interest in Zionist issues began to develop and was encouraged by his reading the speeches ofChaim Weizmannand Ze'ev (Vladimir) Jabotinsky. Kraus lived in Berlin 1926–33, where he eventually assumed the position of the sole graphic designer of the Friedrich Ernst Hübsch-Verlag (publisher). The job fulfilled his early desire to become an artist; he had envied brother Emil's talent. As a night student, he studied in the Reimann Schule in Berlin, the city where he met his wife-to-be Anni. Due to the frightening publicantisemiticincidences there, he and Anni decided to immigrate toPalestine. They spent a year, 1933–34, inBarcelona(arriving there from Paris) where Franz designedHollywood-film posters. Anni was a photographer for a German journalist whose wife was Jewish, a circumstance which possibly supported the association. Because there was no rabbi or an activesynagoguein Barcelona, they could not be married as Austrian citizens and were rather wed in a civil ceremony at the German embassy. Fortunately, through a generous uncle of Anni, they were able to buy visas to Palestine, sailing fromMarseilleto the port ofJaffa, arriving October 1934. The Krauses settled inTel Aviv. Through receptive manufacturers, Franz was able to acquire clients for advertising; he designed posters for companies such as Dubek cigarettes, for which he worked for 45 years. Another on-going client was Elite, a candy manufacturer (today owned byStraus). Prior to Kraus, who dealt with every aspect of graphic design, business people in pre-1948 Palestine and early Israel knew little about advertising methods. Even though Kraus employed photography later in his career, his most dynamic and colorful work was realized through his hand-painted artwork, frequently ingouache, sometimes calling on photographic studies shot by his wife. His best-known image, though not his aesthetic best, is the "Visit Palestine" poster of 1936. He was prolific but made very little money from frugal clients and, according to Kraus himself, was unable to work gratis.He was one of Israel's most-accomplished graphic designers. Exhibitions One-person venue, Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1981 "Franz Krausz—Pionier der Werbegrafik in Israel," Neue Galerie Graz am Landesmuseum, Austria, 24 February–28 March 2005 "Franz Krausz—Blumen und Muschein Israels," Jüdischen Kulturzentrums, Graz, Austria, 1–28 March 2005 "Die Neuen Hebräer—100 Jahre Kunst in Israel", Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin, Germany, 20 May–5 September 2005 ** This Day in Jewish History1905: The Man Who Would Design the 'Visit Palestine' Poster Is Born Franz Krausz' poster was commissioned to encourage Jews to come and wound up recruited by the Palestinian cause. David B. GreenMay 13, 2016 7:00 AM 553share on facebookTweetsend via emailredditstumbleupon Designed in 1936 by Franz Krausz to attract Jews to the land, the poster wound up becoming a symbol of Palestinian nationalism.Wikimedia Commons This Day in Jewish History1932: Jewish commie leads mass trespass in offer to secure public access to U.K. countryside This Day in Jewish History1902: Genius filmmaker Max Ophüls is born, will eventually be appreciated This Day in Jewish History1993: A warrior, sci-fi writer and Orthodox Jew dies May 13, 1905, is the birthdate of the graphic artist Franz Krausz, one of the fathers of the graphic design in pre-state Israel. Though extremely prolific and influential, Krausz is best remembered today for the “Visit Palestine” poster he designed in 1936 to encourage travel and immigration to Israel. Though intended at the time to encourage Jewish tourism and immigration to the Land of Israel, the colorful and evocative poster of Jerusalem’s Temple Mount, centering on the Dome of the Rock, was republished in the 1990s, and eventually gained new life as a symbol of Palestinian nationalism. Franz Krausz was born in St. Poelten, a city in northeast Austria, one of five children of Hermann Krausz, himself an artist, and the former Rosalie Mandl. When Franz was 5, the family moved south to Graz, where he remained until 1923, when his father arranged work for him in Vienna, as a window designer for a bookshop owned by the publisher Loewit-Verlag. It was during his three years in Vienna that Krausz began learning about, and being drawn to Zionism. His interest continued after he moved to Berlin, where he worked as sole graphic designer of another publisher, Friedrich Ernst Hubsch Verlag. In the evenings, he attended the Reimann Schule, an art and design school. It was there that Krausz met Anni Sass, a photographer, who became his wife. Posters for MGM After the rise of Hitler to power, Franz and Anni decided to move to Mandatory Palestine; while they were waiting for visas, however, they spent the years 1933 and 1934 in Barcelona. They married there, and Franz was employed designing movie posters for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The couple finally arrived in Jaffa in October 1934, and set up house in nearby Tel Aviv, where they rented the two-room apartment on Beit Hasho’eva St. that they lived in until Franz’s death, 60 years later. At the time, graphic design and the advertising field were in their infancy, and Krausz was able to play a foundational role in their establishment. In 1935, he helped to found the Society of Graphic Designers. He made a living doing both commercial and non-profit work, with clients that included Dubek Tobacco, which employed Krausz over a period of 45 years, and Elite, whose familiar cow, a symbol of its milk chocolate, was designed by Kraus. An Elite "Cow" chocolate bar.Dan Keinan Sunny Palestine The “Visit Palestine” commission came in 1936 from the Tourist Development Association of Palestine, whose goal was to encourage Jews to come to the country, on both a temporary and permanent basis. At the time, the term “Palestine” didn’t have a political connotation – it simply was the historical name for the land. Krausz designed several versions of the poster, one of which depicted Tiberias and Lake Kinneret, looking north toward Mount Hermon. “Visit Palestine” became just one of hundreds of strong and evocative designs – generally painted on the basis of photographs taken by Anni, his wife – made by Krausz over his long career. But it might have been forgotten if not for its rediscovery in 1995 by graphic artist David Tartakover, whose second career is as an archivist and self-styled historian of Israeli graphic arts. Tartakover tracked down Krausz, still alive, and with his permission, reprinted the Jerusalem version of “Visit Palestine.” He later said the project was a reflection of the political optimism he felt about Israeli-Palestinian reconciliation, back when the Oslo process – and Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin – were still alive. The two printed up a limited run of 1,000 copies of the poster, and offered it for sale, mainly in museum shops. Several years later, however, when Israeli-Palestinian relations had deteriorated and the violence that evolved into the second intifada had become manifest, Tartakover began to notice that the poster was showing up, in an unauthorized version, in the Palestinian territories. Over the next decade, in fact, it became a best seller among Palestinians and supporters of their cause. Tartakover didn’t especially mind. He told journalist Nancy Updike, in 2006, that, “I think everyone can use it the way he wants. You can’t control something you put out there.” By then, Franz Krausz was gone. He died on April 7, 1998, at the age of 92. ** Dubek Ltd. is Israel's leading and longest-established cigarette manufacturer. The company produces, markets and distributes cigarettes, cigars, lighters and smoking accessories. Dubek is Israel's sole manufacturer of cigarettes and its brands include Time, Noblesse and Golf. Dubek was established in 1935 by Martin Gehl, a German emigrant with a Zionist vision of establishing a manufacturing base in Israel. In 1960, Dubek became one of the first companies to be publicly traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange. Throughout the years, Martin Gehl together with his son Zorach, expanded the business and took over all other cigarette manufacturers in Israel. Leaving Dubek as the only company in the field. In 2003 Dubek became a private company. Today the company is headed by Dr. Roy Gehl, Martin Gehl's grandson and its main offices are situated in Martin Gehl Street named after its founder. Noblesse (Hebrew: נובלס) is an Israeli cigarette brand produced by Dubek, Israel's oldest cigarette manufacturer. The brand, launched in 1952 in a distinct green, 80mm, 'soft-pack' which has never been dramatically changed, is the oldest in Dubek's product line. The cigarette also has the highest tar (19mg) and nicotine (1.3mg) amounts available on the Israeli mass-market. Dubek has since released two different versions under the same Noblesse brand; a lower nicotine/tar blend in light-green packaging (Noblesse Blend - it is illegal to use the term 'lite' on cigarettes in Israel), and an even lower nicotine/tar blend in blue packaging (Noblesse American Blue). Noblesse cigarettes are also distributed or sold by the Israel Defense Forces to soldiers in Israeli military prisons. Company name: Dubek Ltd. Year of Establishment: 1935 Nature of activity: The company is the only cigarette manufacturer in Israel, manufacturing, marketing and distributing various cigarette, cigar, lighter and smoking accessory brands in Israel, the Palestinian Authority, Gaza Strip and the West Bank. In addition, the Company also imports its brands to a number of countries overseas. Brands: As the only cigarette manufacturer in Israel, Dubek has assumed the mission of developing, manufacturing and marketing an extensive variety of cigarette brands suitable for the Israeli audience in terms of various blend flavors and strengths. Company brands include Time Noblesse no. 9 Mustang, Europe, Nelson, Sheraton, Montana and Broadway. In addition to the brands manufactured in the Company's factory, the Company exclusively imports brands manufactured by the Danish company House of Prince: Wall Street, Rockets and Slim Agenda. Dubek employs maximal efforts to provide its clients a large variety of high-quality products, while maintaining constant innovation and offering a solution to the entire Israeli population, for all its sectors. The Company's brands enjoy an international reputation of excellence and have won many gold medals for quality in the prestigious international competition "Monde Selection". Dubek, is a leading manufacturer of cigarettes and Tobacco products, one of the first companies in Israeli industry. In 1935 the Company was established by a group of Industrialists, including a mechanical engineer who specialized in equipment for the Tobacco industry – Mr. Martin Gehl. Since its establishment, the Company has been persistent in manufacturing high quality cigarette products. In 1960 the Company became one of the first public companies traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange. In 1965 Dubek introduced its Flag cigarette brand: "Time" – which has become the favorite and most sold cigarette brand in Israel over the years. In 1971 Dubek purchased two competing Tobacco companies and became the only cigarette manufacturer in Israel! Headed by Mr. Zorach U. Gehl, fourth generation of cigarette manufacturers, Dubek became a modern and efficient factory in the Israeli industry. In 1985 Dubek was ranked 11th on the Dun & Bradstreet list of "The 100 leading companies in Israeli Entrepreneurship" In 2003 Dubek became a private company. In 2004 Dubek received exclusive representation rights from the Danish "House of Prince" Company for its cigarette and Tobacco products and began distributing its brands. Maspero Freres - Jaffa,Tel Aviv (1911-1914 then 1921 till 1956) – Al Hayat(1922), Astra, Aviv(1925), Emir(1923), Latif(1926), Matossian, Matossian 4, Matossian deluxe, Migdal, Narcissus, Noblesse (1935), Ora, Universal, Yishuv, Jasmin(1922), Royal, Parfuma, Golden West, Hollywood, Universal, Football, Tamar, Tavor (1925), Ya-Hi-Li-Li (1925), Virginia Tov, Emek, Al Ashraf (1922), Alma, Asfur, Bulbul, Bouton Rouge, Butterfly, Canon, Flying Camel, Hanoon, Margoub, Maspero (big packs & small Packs 1921), Melouki, Namal, Nur, Rodah 6, Rodah, Rada, El shara, Samsoun, Soussa, Sevens, Extra. (in 1911 till 1914 was a packing cigarette warehouse, under the Turkish occupation). Maspero ltd. Tel Aviv – (still manufacture after 1948 till 13th.March.1956 when went on voluntary liquidation) - Emir, Maspero 18, Latif, Matossian Royal, Superfine, Universal, Jasmin, Nacshon, Leumi, Shofra, Zabra, Dalia, Nimrod***** TheA.L. Monsohn Lithographic Press(דפוס אבן א"ל מאנזאהן) was established inJerusalemin 1892 by Abraham-LeibMonsohnII (Jerusalem, c.1871-1930) and his brother Moshe-Mordechai.Sponsored by members of the Hamburger family,the brothers had been sent toFrankfurtin 1890 to studylithography.Upon returning to Jerusalem with ahand press, they established the A.L. Monsohn Lithographic Press in theOld City of Jerusalem. At first it was situated inBab al-Huta; it was later moved to the courtyard opposite what is today the Old Yishuv Court Museum (Hebrew:מוזיאון חצר היישוב הישן) at 6 Or Ha-Hayim Street in theJewish Quarter, where Abraham-Leib Monsohn lived with his family.Leaving the Old City, the press was relocated to theMamillasection of Jerusalem, and later to Yosef Ziv Street in theTel Arzaneighborhood. The Monsohn Press produced about 300 color prints per day, the only color printing done at the time in Jerusalem. In 1894 they imported a new machine which could print 1,000 copies a day—a great advance in local printing. The founders of the Monsohn press produced Jewish-themed colorpostcards,greeting cards,Jewish National Fundstamps, and maps documenting the evolution of the Jewish settlement inEretz Israelin the nineteenth-twentieth centuries; religious material such as decorative plaques forsynagogues,portraits of Old Yishuv rabbis such asShmuel Salant,Mizrahposters indicating the direction of prayer for synagogues, memorial posters, and posters forSukkotbooths;,color frontispieces for books such as Pentateuch volumes; artistic wedding invitations; and later, government posters;and labels, packaging and advertisements for the pioneering entrepreneurs of Eretz Israel. Many of the postcards andmapscan be seen online,as can the artistic invitations to his children's weddings which Monsohn published in the Jerusalem Hebrew press (e.g., that for his sonMenachem Mendel Monsohnand his wife Zipporah in the 24 June 1914 issue ofMoria).The Monsohn Press received special permission from the city’srabbisto print so long as the material could not be used tomissionize.While Eretz Israel was underOttomancontrol, Abraham-Leib Monsohn also printed the maps for the Ottoman military leaderDjemal Pasha, in his headquarters inMount Scopus. For years, the Monsohn (later, Monson/Monzon) Press was considered the best and most innovative in the country—pioneering in such techniques printing, among others. Early items for tourists included collections ofFlowers of the Holy Land(c. 1910-1918)—pressed local flowers accompanied by scenes from the Eretz Israel countryside and relevant verses from the Bible, edited byJsac Chagise(or Itzhak Haggis), an immigrant from Vitebsk, and bound in carved olive wood boards.Shortly after World War I Monsohn (now spelled מונזון) usedzincographyto produce the prints included in the HebrewGanenueducational booklets for young children illustrated byZe'ev Rabanof theBezalel Academy of Art and Designand printed in Jerusalem byHayim Refael Hakohen(vol. 1, 1919; vols. 2-3, 1920).In 1934 Monsohn moved into the new, western part of Jerusalem, in a shop with four presses and 30 workers, including Abraham-Leib’s sons, David, Yosef, Moshe and Shimon, and his daughter Raytse’s husband, Abraham Barmacz. The concern did business with all sectors of the city’s population, includingArabs, for whom they printed inArabic. Among their clients needed],Dubek, and other renowned national brands, manufacturing products such aswine,candies,oil, andcigarettes.They also printedmovieandtravel posters, and government posters, postcards and documents. During theTzenaausterity period Monsohn was the exclusive printer of governmentcoupon booklets. Shimon Monson (or Monzon, b. 1907; son of Abraham-Leib II) and Shimon Barmacz (b. 1922; son of Raytsa Monsohn Barmacz [b. 1901]; recipient of theYakir Yerushalayimaward),were responsible for the press in its final stage, during which it also produced color maps, tourist brochures, and printedbooks, especially photo-offset editions of sacred works, of which they printed over 80 (e.g.,Mishnah Berurah, 6 vols., 1950;Miqra'ot Gedolot, 5 vols., 1955;Ḥoq Le-Yisrael, 5 vols., 1956;Shulhan Arukh, 2 vols., 1956-1957;Zohar, 5 vols., 1958-1960;Moreh Nevukhim, 3 vols., 1960). Interestingly, in 1955 Shimon Monson also printed the 1955 first Jerusalem edition ofVladimir Nabokov'sLolitafor theOlympia Press(2 vols.). The revolutionaryKoren Publishers JerusalemBible was printed at the press of Shimon Monzon (Pentateuch, 1959; complete Bible, 1965 and later printings).Unable to compete with larger, more modernized concerns, the Monsohn/Monzon Press closed in 1992. A grandson of the founders helped establishKeter Press, printer of the first edition of theEncyclopedia Judaicaand still one ofIsrael’s leading printing establishments. Shimon Barmacz’s son, Mordechai (b. 1948), established the Hebron Press inKiryat Arba. Elyakim Monzon (b. 1927), son of Abraham-Leib’s son Yosef (b. 1903), also engaged in printing. The prints produced by the A.L. Monsohn Lithography are today sought by collectors the world over. 4137