International Talk Like a Pirate Day Puppet Craft for Kids
September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day! How can you celebrate this “day” in a super-fun family-friendly way? Check out this easy pirate-themed puppet craft that’s sure to get your creative kiddo talking. Talking like a pirate, that is.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- Lunch-sized paper bag
- Construction paper
- Clear-drying school glue
How-To Art-Making Steps
- Flatten the paper bag and place it with the flap side facing up and to the top.
- Your child can draw the pirate’s face onto the flap of the bag.
- Cut yard and glue it to the flap to create a beard and hair for the pirate.
- Draw a pirate’s hat and eye patch onto a piece of construction paper. Cut out these accent items and glue them to the top of the bag.
- Now your child is ready to create the pirate’s outfit! They can either use markers to draw a shirt and pants onto the rest of the bag or cut out and glue paper onto the puppet.
- Add arms to the pirate puppet. Your child can draw arms and hands onto construction paper. Cut these out and glue one arm to each side of the bag.
After the glue dries, your child is ready to play with their puppet. Put on a paper bag puppet show at home with a pirate theme. Choose a children’s book about pirates to act out or make up your own story together.