Flag Day Red, White and Blue Berry Cake
Your kids have crafted Flag Day art already. But what about a holiday snack? Celebrate the American flag with this red, white and blue dessert idea! Your children can help you to make a berry-filled flag-themed cake that’s perfect for a family picnic or backyard barbecue.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Vanilla or white cake mix—Use your favorite recipe or a boxed mix.
- White frosting
- A popsicle stick
How-To Cake-Making Steps:
- Bake a rectangle-shaped cake. Use your family’s own recipe or mix a ready-to-use boxed version. This is the perfect opportunity to involve your kids in the baking process. Not only will your kids get to pitch in and help make this holiday dessert, the measuring and mixing processes can help them to learn about math and science.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Frost the cake with the white icing.
- Use the popsicle stick to draw the stripes and star area into the icing. Remind your child to press gently into the icing. If they force the popsicle stick into the frosting, they could pierce the cake beneath it.
- Slice the strawberries. You’ll need to do this step for your children.
- Create red stripes with the strawberries and raspberries.
- Add the blueberries to the top left square area to complete the cake.