Groundhog Day Cupcake Recipe
Bake a batch of cute cupcakes to celebrate Groundhog Day! Your creative kiddo can help you to whip up these chocolatey treats in honor of Punxsutawney Phil. Don’t worry if you aren’t an expert baker. You can use a boxed mix for this easy, and kid-friendly, recipe. Serve up these sweets at a holiday party or while you wait and watch for Phil to see his shadow.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chocolate cake mix or your favorite chocolate cake recipe
- Cupcake baking tin/pan
- Solid-colored cupcake tin liners
- Chocolate frosting
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Mini marshmallows
- Candy eyes
- Chocolate chips
How-To Baking Steps
- Mix the chocolate cake mix. Pour the mix into lined cupcake tins/pans.
- Bake the cupcake, following the boxes mix or your recipe’s directions.
- Let the cupcake cool completely.
- Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate icing. Keep some of the icing separate to use later.
- Coat the cakes with a light layer of chocolate sprinkles.
- Decorate the top of each cupcake with a groundhog face. Spoon two circle-shaped dollops of the chocolate icing onto the bottom half the the cupcake’s top to create puffy groundhog cheeks. Add an upside down chocolate chip to the center as a nose and two mini marshmallows near the bottom as teeth. Place two candy eyes above the nose and complete Phil’s face with two chocolate chip ears near the top of the cupcake.