International Literacy Day Book Themed Cake
Are you searching for a creative culinary way to celebrate International Literacy Day? Even though this special day is all about books, you can mark it with a fun foody-friendly treat. Before you start cooking with your kids, choose a favorite book to re-create as a themed cake.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cake mix- If you’re an expert baker, use your own recipe. But if you don’t exactly make your own Pinterest-worthy cakes, a mix is fine.
- Icing- Choose the colors of the book’s jacket or cover (if it’s a paperback) and white for the pages.
- Cardboard- You’ll use this is a base for the book cake. Reuse the front or side of a box. Size the cardboard so that it’s at least six inches larger than the projected size of the cake on each side.
- Blend the cake mix and bake it in a rectangle pan. You can either bake one cake or two to layer.
- Let the cake cool.
- If you baked two cakes, slather a layer of icing on top of the first one. Place the second cake on top.
- Frost the cake. Use white icing on one long end and the two short ends.
- Add accents to the top of the cake. Use frosting and a toothpick or thin (new and clean) paintbrush to decorate the cake to look like your child’s favorite book.
1993 Press Photo Knights on International Literacy Day, The Great Books Series