Paper Mache Shofar Art for Rosh Hashanah
Make your own shofar to celebrate Rosh Hashanah! Your crafty kiddo can learn more about this holiday with this creative art activity. Even though it won’t make noise like a real shofar would, your child can use the artsy version for a day of make believe play!
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- Construction paper
- Newspaper or newsprint
- Paper mache paste- or (if you want to make your own mix) equal parts flour, school glue and water
- Tempera paint
- Masking tape
How-To Art-Making Steps
- Crumple the newspaper into a long, thin cone shape. Twist and bunch the paper to create a base for the shofar.
- Cover the outside of the newspaper cone with a layer of tape.
- Tear the construction paper into strips.
- Mix the paper mache paste.
- Dip a strip of construction paper into the mix, coating both the back and the front. Gently wipe the excessive paste off the paper.
- Wrap the paste-covered paper over the taped newsprint.
- Continue the process until your child covers almost all of the outside of the cone. Don’t cover the wider end of the cone.
- Let the paper mache dry overnight.
- Remove the taped newsprint from the middle of the paper mache shofar.
- Paint the outside of the shofar with the temperas and a thick brush.