Sukkot Garland Craft for Kids
Celebrate Sukkot and decorate your family’s sukkah with these easy kids’ crafts. Your child can help you to deck out this outdoor area with harvest-themed garlands that they make from scratch! Not only is this an awesomely artsy way to learn more about the holiday, the garlands will also help your child to build problem-solving, spatial reasoning, and fine motor skills.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- Card stock paper
- Tempera paint
- Crayons or markers
- A hole bunch
- Yarn or ribbon
- Choose one type of fruit or harvest veggie for each garland or combine the foods into one project.
- Draw the fruit or vegetables on the card stock paper. Your child can make the harvest picks as large as they want. The fruit and vegetables can take up part of an 8×10-inch piece of card stock or the whole paper.
- Cut the fruit and vegetable drawings out.
- Place the cut-outs onto a piece of flattened cardboard or a garbage bag. This will help to reduce the mess when your child starts painting.
- Decorate the cut-outs with paint. Your child can create a realistic color palette, such as red and green for apples, or try a more abstract approach. This could include a rainbow of colors, designs, or a paint splatter.
- Let the cut-outs dry completely.
- Turn the fruit and veggies over and paint the other side.
- Punch one hole on each side of each cut-out.
- String the garland together. Use yarn or ribbon pieces to tie each piece to the one before and after it.
Hang the garland in your sukkah! Your child can create one long garland or several smaller decorations.